Quinta dos Lagos 1907

Hidden among the misty hills of Sintra, Quinta dos Lagos is a place where history and romance intertwine. Built in 1907 by Sintra’s first mayor, Fernando Formigal de Morais, the estate was created as a tribute to his beloved wife, Amélia, and designed with the collaboration of architect Francisco Carlos Parente.

The palacete rises from the Sintra hillside, with graceful arched windows, a Renaissance loggia open to the light, and a tall tower recalling the skyline of medieval Italian towns, crowned by a northern-style bell clock.

Quinta dos Lagos also has a small chapel (currently in renovation) dedicated to Santa Amélia, with walls of luminous blue-and-white azulejos painted by J. Pinto with angels and gentle scenes inspired by the life of Santa Amélia, inaugurated in 1909 by the Archbishop of Mitilene.

Beyond the house unfolds a garden of pure enchantment—an Art Nouveau dream shaped by Romantic imagination. Fountains murmur, waterfalls slip through greenery, and winding paths reveal hidden corners and secret spaces. Through the cast-iron butterfly gate (designed by the celebrated architect Norte Júnior), visitors step into a world where time slows, and beauty lingers in every stone, leaf, and echo of water.

Contact us

Interested in working together? Fill out some info and we will be in touch shortly. We can’t wait to hear from you!